Whatever your feelings about jeans, there is no avoiding the fact that they are very much a part of the modern woman’s wardrobe. There is a pair of jeans for almost all occasions from a dinner date or Sunday brunch, to a day out shopping or simply knocking about.
And once you get your jeans sorted, the rest of your outfit will fall into place.
But of course, this is easier said than done and for most women, finding a great pair of jeans can be a nightmare!
Many of you know how it feels to walk into a department store and be faced with piles and piles of jeans, not really knowing what the difference is between any of them, let alone what might work for you.
So Damsel is here to help.
Whilst there is a huge amount of technology that goes into a pair of jeans, you, as a shopper, only really need to focus on the following 4 things:
- The Leg
- The Rise
- The Pockets
- And The Wash
1. THE LEG
This refers to the shape of the leg of the jean:
- A denim classic
- Wardrobe staple
SKINNY LEG JEANS
- Perfect for tucking into ankle boots or tight fitting long boots
- Good option with long top or tunics
- For most people, the straight leg is an easier option as a skinny leg hugs the ankle so can be less forgiving on the thighs if worn without boots/tunics
DENIM LEGGINGS or “JEGGINGS”
- Denim/legging hybrid, or “Jeggings” begun as a fashion style but has now become a denim-lover’s staple
- These are super stretchy so incredibly comfortable and when executed well are a great addition to your wardrobe. They offer the look and support of a jean but are much more comfortable!
- The Paige Verdugo is one of the best.
TREND DRIVEN/FASHION STYLES
- Skinny cargo jeans – these are tradition cargo trousers, with side pockets, that have been updated with to have a skinny leg. These are a fantastic option for the person who wants an alternative to denim.
- Slouchy trouser/tracksuit hybrids – made from finer, lighter fabrics, these are looser through the leg but cuffed at the bottom, enabling you to ruche up to mid-calf. Great with heels for a modern, sexy take on sportwear
- Cropped bootleg styles – all the flattering cut of a bootleg jean but cropped to mid calf! These are a cute take on cropped ¾ or 7/8th jeans
2. THE RISE
This is how high the jean comes up at the front, where the zip is. For most people, a mid-rise or high-rise is a great option as it helps to reduce the dreaded ‘muffin-top’.
A classic rise, which sits a little bit lower at the front, is also a great choice. Just make sure it’s cut higher at the back.
– Slightly lower than the mid-rise
– Ensure they cut higher at the back to
avoid bum cleavage
– Prevents ‘muffin top’
– Flatters most shapes
The ultimate jean text is how they make your bum look and a good-looking bum is all down to the size, shape and position of the rear pockets.
It’s a bit like Goldilocks really - they can’t be too big, they can’t be too small, they can’t be too high, they can’t too low. They have to be just right.
BAD POCKETS (NOT sold at Damsel!)
All the jeans at Damsel have been tried and tested so there are no bad-bum inducing jeans in sight!
4. THE WASH
This is essentially the colour of the jean, including the fading, distressing etc. There are hundreds of washes available from traditional blues and indigos to greys, whites, blacks and even reds and purples!
Black and inky washes are the most forgiving and look smarter for a dressier denim look, while worn-in looking washes are great for a more casual everyday look. Ensure the fading is gradual and subtle, with darker shading around the inner and outer thigh for a more flattering look.
Darker washes are slimming and smart
Traditional washes are great for a casual look